Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Moving In

I awoke Monday at the hostel knowing that I would be moving out. I was so excited to be able to get into my new place, but I knew that I needed to get housing insurance first. I went into the city center to see if I could get it through a bank, because I knew that some banks offered it for cheap. I soon figured out that most banks are closed on Mondays. I found one bank that I was able to get a checking account at, but they wanted 45 euros for insurance. I declined and was able to get it cheaper through a company on the internet. I then went to the school and checked in. The best part about this was that I was able to pick up some things that previous students had left. I picked up some sheets, silverware, cups, and best of all a TOWEL! Since I never found a place to buy one, I was most greatful for this.

I then took a bus to my place of residence. I arrived during there lunch break and had to wait a half hour. During that time, I met a girl from Poland and another guy from North Carolina, but of whom are in the IBP. The office opened and I was able to get my room key. The best thing that I learned about was that there is a GYM in my residence area. I have yet to go inside it, but I don't care, there is a GYM! There is also a basketball court. All is right in my world.

I received my keys and found my apartment that I share with five other people. It is very....dormy. I would liked to say it was a big step up from the hostel, but the Bible says not to lie. At least I have my own room, which locks. We all have to share one fridge, and there are two "hot plates" -burners and a microwave to cook with. No oven :( It's not the most glamorous of places, but it will do for 4 1/2 months.

After I settled in, I took my laptop with me to a McDonalds that is near because they have free WiFi. I have to wait to get my WiFi access code until Thursday I think, so I will frequent McDonalds in the meantime. I will also be delayed in putting my pictures up until Thursday as well.

At McDonalds, I met the Polish girl there again. I ended up hanging out with her and her two friends from the rest of the night. They are all from the same university in Poland. We walked around, eventually finding a grocery store. It is the biggest grocery store I have seen here, about the size of an Albertsons. I picked up a few things; milk, cereal, yogurt, bread, cheese, and then we found our way back to our apartments. Two of the girls are in the same building that I am on. I spent the rest of the night with them, talking and listening to music. American music is very popular in Europe. I also found out that milk looks nothing like in the States. I'm glad that I had the girls with me to show me what it looks like. It is not kept refrigerated in stores and comes in way smaller bottles.

I ended up going to bed around 12:30 or 1. I slept pretty good in my room, but needed ear plugs as I am next to a street, and the walls are thin.

I awoke to some people talking in the kitchen and thought that it was a little rude to be talking so loud in the morning. I picked up my phone to see the time, thinking that it might be 10 or 10:30. To my amazement, it was 3:30. I have never slept that long or that late in my life. I was really shocked that I slept so late. I also felt bad because I was going to meet up with the Austrian girl I met at 11. Jet lag has possibly hit me. The other reason may be that I have shutters on my window that block out most of the light, so there wasn't really any sunlight coming in.

I was able to go back to McDonalds and use the internet. I watched the highlights of the BCS National title game, and to my satisfaction Bama won and shutout LSU. I wish I could have watched the game...oh well.

Tomorrow, I have to take a French placement test at 8:30. I hope that I wake up in time. I have set the alarm on my phone and I don't think that I will close my shutters all the way. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will wake up.

1 comment:

  1. They kill everything in the milk somehow and that is why they are able to keep it on the shelf without being cold. Though, I don't think you can really call the milk.

    ReplyDelete