Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Beaujolais Wine Tasting

Yesterday, I enjoyed a beautiful afternoon in the region of Beaujolais. The sun was shining, the air was fresh with the scent of spring, and the glasses were filled with wine.

A bus full of IBP students and I traveled about 40 minutes outside of Lyon to a small, family owned vineyard in the countryside. Upon arrival, a small, golden-yellow rock house greeted us, as did the rows of vines. Tables of wine glasses had already been set out with some cheese, as our hostess told us about her vineyard. She spoke to us, only in French, but we later found out that she knew English. I think she was just messin with us.


After she was done explaining about the vineyard and wine, the corks popped and the wine flowed like the Saône. First up, we had a Beaujolais Blanc, followed by a Rosé, and finally a Rouge. The wine tasted good, but then again, I am no wine-connoisseur.

I'm afraid to say that on this wine tasting excursion, the cheese outshone the wine. It was a goat cheese which a neighboring house makes. What a perfect neighbor couple; wine and cheese. I couldn't stop eating it and started grabbing it by the handful. I enjoyed sipping back the wine (pinkie out of course) outside on a sunny afternoon, and I even went for a short wander round the vineyard.

With all of the bottles empty, and I still consuming the cheese, we said our final farewells to our host. I ended up buying a bottle of Beaujolais Rouge and even talked the lady into selling me a glass, which I am thankful she did as I had nothing else at Allix to drink it in other than cups. I may not know much about wine, but I know to not drink it out of a wine glass is a faux pas.


It was a great afternoon full of friends, laughs, and wine. I can now cross off "Go to vineyard" on my French list of things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment